Friday, December 4, 2009

My Gram

She is resilient. She's been through more than I can fathom. Still she keeps on and gets more done in one day than I do in a week. When I was young and still living in the small town of Genoa, Nebraska, my grandparents' house was a haven to me. It felt safe, always welcoming, always warm. I could sit on the front porch for hours and it would feel as if no time had passed.

My grandfather passed away several years back - actually this past July marked 6 years ago. Traces of him are still everywhere, in the photos, in my dad's mannerisms, in the wedding band that Gram still wears. Yet I can see how strong of a person she is on her own. Never does a day pass that she isn't up at the crack of dawn, making coffee, doing laundry, getting the day started. I remember when she was moving into a new home in Omaha, she was right in there with the younger guys, trying to move furniture around.

I can only hope to be so brave.

I am ever so grateful that my grandmother posed for me last week in Nebraska. I will cherish this photo for years to come.

Love you Gram. It's an honor to take your photo.




No comments:

Post a Comment