Friday, August 21, 2009

Some little thoughts of Mexico...

Lately I have been getting lost in thoughts of Mexico. Thoughts of traveling. Thoughts of exploring.

My curiousity about Hispanic culture and Latin America began quite awhile ago. Right out of high school, I made a week-long trip to Cancun, with other graduating seniors. Okay, I know what you might be thinking, Cancun is a bit cheesy. But it was a first step for me, a small step that would make an impression for years to come. I remember spending one afternoon exploring outside the typical touristy area - I hopped on a bus by myself and didn't get off until it was clear there were no more cheesy vacation resorts in sight. I wandered among city streets without the clutter of tourists. I recall being fascinated with the way the houses looked. The way the kids looked at me. The way everyone seemed to be waiting on a bus, on every block. The way every building was painted a different color. It was all just so different from any place I'd experienced before. It had energy and vibrance. I was immediately in love.

Many many years down the line (about 10, to be exact) - I would hop on another form of transport - this time a plane, to spend two months in Guatemala by myself. Again, I was in love. Maybe terrified at moments, but in love. (Isn't that how love can be, anyhow?) My Spanish began to flow. I overcame many doubts about myself. Oh, the colors, the chicken busses, the lush growth of nature, the fascinating people.....

The last trip I made outside the U.S. was almost two years ago - I made a short trip across the border with some co-workers and spent an afternoon in Reynosa, Mexico. I've never had so many people beg me for an interest in their clothing/manicures/dental services ....



So here's a photo to express my dreams of traveling again to Mexico: a little knick-knack that my mom gave me recently. It is supposed to represent Mexico, some little collection from Hallmark or something .... anyway, this is my way of putting this little dream into the universe, and having faith that if I am supposed to go again, I will go.


For now, here I sit, having taken on another semester of school and a seasonal job lasting until November. And my dad is not in the greatest health, so it's important to me to be here for now.
So Mexico will have to simply remain in my thoughts for now ....

No comments:

Post a Comment